A number of New Apostolic families settled near the mouth of the Rio de la Plata in Argentina and Uruguay in around 1920. The apostle assigned to South America was a Dutchman by the name of Sijtze Faber who settled in the province of Córdoba, from where he cared for the small group of families. In 1930 Chief Apostle Helper Franz-Wilhelm Schlaphoff visited South America. From then on it was decided that divine services would be conducted in the local languages. The New Apostolic Church in Argentina has been officially recognised by the state since 1938.